Gettysburg Municipal Authority is seeking a Full-Time Laborer I
This position performs a combination of manual labor for operations and maintenance of water distribution system and sewer collection system. Position reports to the Distribution and Collection Supervisor. Responsibilities include but not limited to; maintenance and installation of water and sewer lines, fire hydrants, manholes, etc. operate or assist with the operation of light to medium power equipment ranging from jack hammers, air compressors, rodding machine, boring machine, power hand tools, pickup trucks, crew cabs, front-end loaders, flusher truck, backhoes; uses hand tools such as ratchets, wrenches, shovels, rakes, screwdrivers, responds to customer requests/ complaints, repair equipment, ability to read maps, drawings, schematics, computer knowledge and skills, cross train to other company departments, performs other related duties as required. Applicant must also possess the ability to lift and carry 50 pounds, perform work in all weather conditions, provide stable employment, attendance, and pass a complete background investigation (including references, employment, criminal, driving, and pre-employment drug screening test). Weekends and holiday work as needed, as well as emergency callouts with a response time of less than one hour.
Submit a cover letter and resume to Mark Guise Utilities Manager, at P O Box 3307 Gettysburg PA, 17325 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 16, 2022
Gettysburg Municipal Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
GETTYSBURG MUNICIPAL AUTHORITY LABORER I RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES
Essential job functions:
Performs semi-skilled-skilled tasks involved in the repair, maintenance and installation of water and sewer lines, fire hydrants, manholes; trained to operate light to medium power equipment ranging from jack hammers, air compressors, rodding machine, power saws, front-end loaders, boring machine, pick-up truck, flusher truck, backhoes; uses hand tools such as ratchets, wrenches, shovels, rakes, screwdrivers, repair equipment such as pumps, valves, small motors, reads maps and drawings, cross train to other divisions, assist with responds to customer requests/complaints, performs other related duties as required. Physical demands include heavy work which involves digging, lifting, climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching and handling. Going into manholes and confined spaces. Work hours may vary, including weekends and during emergencies.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this job title. They are not intended to be construed as a list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.
Position works outside in all types of weather, may be exposed to constant noise, fumes, dust, dirt, vapors, odors, untreated waste and sludge, chemicals, will work in trenches/ditches, manholes and around mechanical, electrical, and explosive hazards.
This position is scheduled as full-time work (40 hours per week) Monday – Friday 7:00am – 3:30 pm each week. May be required to workdays, nights and or weekends, work schedule subject to change depending on business necessity, subject to 24-hour call out, overtime when necessary.
Minimum Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Understanding of and considerable use and operation of hand and power tools such as pipe cutters, chain saws, jack hammers, and other equipment applicable to assignment.
- Understanding of appropriate safety equipment and procedures for performing the duties of the job.
- Ability to understand and carry out written and oral assignments.
- Ability to perform manual labor for extended periods of time and during unfavorable weather conditions.
- Experience in the operation of light equipment desirable.
- Mechanical aptitude.
- Good customer service and communication skills for dealing directly with the public.
- Capable of medium to heavy physical work including lifting, pulling, climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling and reaching.
- Ability to work alone with minimum supervision.
- Submit to pre-employment drug and alcohol testing as well as a willingness to submit to periodic, random drug and alcohol testing.
- Ability to understand, hear, follow and issue oral and written instructions.
- High School Diploma or G.E.D.
- Must successfully pass pre-employment drug and alcohol screening.
- Pennsylvania Class C Driver’s license.
- No record of convictions or ARD dispositions for driving under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol.
- No record of felony conviction, and a willingness to submit to a criminal background investigation.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) regarding the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) shutdown is providing information relating to "Guidance on Reopening Buidlings after Prolonged Shutdown or Reduced Operations". Please click on the link to be directed to the CDC website for more information: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/php/building-water-system.html