Gettysburg Municipal Authority is seeking a full-time Distribution and Collection System Supervisor. This position supports and reports directly to the Utilities Manager. Responsibilities include but not limited to; operations and maintenance of the water distribution and wastewater collection system and facilities, the supervision of all staff of the distribution and collection systems. Establishes standard operating procedures, develops and monitors capital and operating plan budgets, available 24/7 for emergency response. Qualifications include a valid Pennsylvania class “C” driver's license, current PA DEP Water and Wastewater Class “E” license, minimum of 7 years water/wastewater industry, past supervisory/management experience preferred. The applicant needs to possess strong computer skills with knowledge and high aptitude of MS Word, Excel and ability to learn internal software programs. Applicant must pass a complete background investigation and pre-employment drug screening test.
Submit a cover letter and resume to Mark Guise Utilities Manager, at P O Box 3307 Gettysburg Pa, 17325 or by email to email@example.com by February 18, 2018. A full list of responsibilities and duties can be found on our web page at: www.gettysburgma.com
Gettysburg Municipal Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
GETTYSBURG MUNICIPAL AUTHORITY
DISTRIBUTION & COLLECTION SUPERVISOR
This is skilled supervisory position involving the technical and administrative care and maintenance of GMA’s Water Distribution & Sewer Collection systems. Responsibilities include but not limited to: operations and maintenance of the water distribution and wastewater collection system and facilities, the supervision of all staff of the distribution and collection systems. Establishes standard operating procedures, develops and monitors capital and operating plan budgets, available for emergency response. Demonstrates visible “leadership by example”, utilizing participative management, and involving employees and teamwork whenever possible. Employee interacts with subordinates, superiors, and other department heads and agencies, including customers to facilitate smooth system function.
An employee in this class may perform a variety of duties requiring strenuous physical effort and exposure to uncomfortable working conditions. The employee supervises various subordinates and is called on from time-to-time to perform the duties of those subordinates. Examples of jobs may include general cleanup, operation of excavation equipment, hand digging, and pipeline repair or replacement.
This position is full time work (40 hours per week) with benefits as outlined in GMA’s Personnel Policy Manual. Work may be performed during regular business hours, and/or at all other times as necessary to complete scheduled or emergency pipeline repairs, system malfunctions and customer concerns.
Work is performed under the direction of the Utilities Manager but requires the ability to work alone.
- Direct day-to-day activities and schedules of assigned staff.
- Maintain accurate work and repair records and equipment logs, including mapping.
- Develops and implements standard operating and maintenance procedures.
- Oversee and participate in repair and maintenance of GMA’s Distribution & Collection system.
- Direct, oversee, and participate in general cleanup of facilities, equipment and work sites.
- Implementation of GIS mapping.
- Train, direct and assist Laborers as required.
- Respond to emergencies 24/7.
- Complete and submit all reporting to ensure GMA’s compliance with state and federal regulations and to ensure a quality water and sewer service for GMA customers.
- Implements and directs subordinates to ensure compliance with safety procedures and OSHA safety standards relating to all duties of Laborers in the Distribution and Collection group.
- Demonstrate continuous effort to improve operations and work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality, seamless customer service.
- Performs annual employee evaluations.
- Implements and directs in the execution of the policies issued by the Utilities Manager, Board of Directors, GMA Personnel Policy Manual and Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Responsible for making sound financial decisions.
- Keep Utilities Manager informed regarding all problems in the Distribution & Collection system.
- Conducts ongoing evaluations of operation procedures and maintenance procedures and updates as needed.
- Schedules short-term and long-range work operations; develops overall Distribution & Collection operating schedule and coordinates work.
- Develops and administers operating and capital budgets, as well as long term planning for the future replacement or upgrading of the Distribution & Collection department facilities and infrastructure.
- Develops technical specifications
- Assist in the purchase of equipment and material related to areas of responsibility.
- Responsible for department compliance with State and Federal regulations concerning maintenance, operations, safety and environmental impact.
- Monitors system conditions and appearance and makes recommendations for improvement.
- Prepares and submits operational and regulatory reports as required by law.
- Responsible for all department report requirements.
- Complete necessary training courses needed to maintain appropriate Certifications.
- Carry and respond to all calls on company issued cell phone during all hours.
- Related work as directed.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to build and sustain a collaborative, high performance team culture that encourages creativity, innovation, empowerment and vision.
- Encourages the effective use of technology to improve facility operations.
- Ability to read and understand blue prints.
- Ability to plan, coordinate and supervise the work of the employees.
- Mechanical aptitude with knowledge of hand tools, plumbing procedures, and construction tools such as jackhammer, street saw, abrasive saw, compressor, tapping machine, etc.
- Complete understanding and ability to operate all GMA’s motorized equipment in the performance of duties, such as dump truck, bob cat and light trucks.
- Complete understanding and ability to operate GMA’s sewer flushing equipment.
- Good customer service and communication skills for dealing directly with the public.
- General knowledge of MS Office products, MS Word and Excel, and ability to learn new software with training assistance.
- Ability to perform basic arithmetic calculations
- Understanding and use of appropriate safety equipment and procedures for performing the duties of the job.
- Ability to properly keep and file work documents, records, logs, etc.
- Capable of medium to heavy physical work including lifting, climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling and reaching.
Minimum Qualification(s) Required:
A High School Diploma or GED, a current valid PA Driver’s license class B, Must possess a valid PA DEP Class E Water and E Wastewater license. Seven years’ experience in related field, past training and education counts towards required experience.
Provide references and employment history; submit to a complete background check including criminal, driving and pre-employment drug and alcohol testing.